The death toll has reached 213 as the World Health Organization declares outbreak a global emergency. Follow live updates and latest news
- WHO declares coronavirus a global health emergency
- Britons fly out of Wuhan as death toll passes 200
- How does coronavirus spread and how can you protect yourself?
- Share your stories
Date: January 31, 2020
By: Damien Gayle (now) and Alison Rourke (earlier)
LIVE Updated 5m ago
7m ago France confirms sixth case and first human to human transmission
1h ago No departure date for evacuation of NZ citizens from Wuhan
3h ago South Korea plans up to four evacuation flights from Wuhan
3h ago Japan changes China travel advice
4h ago Tonga asks Australia and New Zealand to quarantine evacuated Tongan citizens
4h ago Qantas will not stop direct flights from Australia to China
5h ago 129 infections outside China
7m ago 03:00
France confirms sixth case and first human to human transmission
A doctor has become the sixth patient diagnosed with coronavirus in France, the country’s health chief Jérôme Salomon announced on Thursday night.
The patient confined himself after first developing symptoms, and is currently in hospital in Paris, where is condition is said to be not a cause for concern, Le Parisien reports.
The French health directorate says it is the first reported case of contamination on French soil.
12m ago 02:55
This is Damien Gayle taking over the live blog from London now, where it is morning. As usual, please send me any coronavirus-related information, tips, questions or stories that you think we should be covering and I’ll do my best to get them in. You can reach me via email at email@example.com or via my Twitter profile, @damiengayle.
1h ago 02:13
What we know so far today
- The death toll stands at 213 inside China and confirmed infections are at nearly 9,100.
- Global infections are up to 130.
- The US has upgraded its travel advice to “do not travel” to China.
- A flight carrying 83 Britons and 27 foreign nationals is on its way home from Wuhan, due to arrive in the UK at around 1pm local time.
- The World Health Organization has declared the virus outbreak a global emergency.
- South Korea evacuated more than 350 of its citizens from Wuhan on an plane and may schedule up to three more flights. It confirmed its seventh case of coronavirus on Friday.
- Italy confirms its first two cases of the virus.
- Japan has changed it’s travel advice to China, urging citizens to avoid non-urgent trips.
- More international airlines have curtailed flights to China, including Virgin Atlantic and Kenya Airways.